Thursday, January 21, 2010

Update

Time to update this blog!

I went through my portfolio and fixed a bunch of things that were problems. Most of my stuff was just too dark and it needed extra help. Among those was fixing my nanny picture so it had more...temperature contrast, if that makes any sense. Y'all probably can't even tell the difference, but its different. I'll just put the two that were the most different.


Other than that, my more recent projects have been sent off as christmas presents before I scanned em. They weren't really portfolio peices anyway. I managed to finish my portfolio book, because I realized that I have to compete with Graphic Designers for a publisher, and Graphic Designers make sweet looking books. Who would have thought my weird Bookbinding habit would actually be worth my time one day?




The cover, for now. Its polka dots! Yay. I'm obsessed with polka dots right now and it seemed good for the demographic I'm aiming for. We'll see how long the sleeve lasts. I might just have to put something else on the front because it ended up being mighty a-lot of polka dots.

then I was looking through this portfolio magazine that had this add for cutting lasered patterns into your paper, and it was so freakin cool that I decided to copy it a few places within my portfolio. Just a few places becuase this took way longer than I thought to hand-cut, and because they tear themselves apart when they're on consecutive pages from eachother. It was a fun experiment, though. I was worried about it being too scrap-booky, but since it's all placed on white it didn't turn out that way.

there were more, but these were the biggest spots, later I got more reasonable and made the cut-outs smaller.
On another note, it is raining dogs and cats all over Northern California, so much so that it actually hailed on me! I thought I would go through this winter without hail, for a change, but o well. It turns out my sunroof leaks like mad in the rain, and I had a bucket collecting water overnight and it filled it almost completely full, and then splattered all over the rest of the car. I felt like I was trying to keep a boat afloat, taking a bucket at my flooding car, but now that its been caulked with silicone rubber, we'll see what the rain does now...

1 comment:

Matt Loveridge said...

Hey Rachel,

I think your redo's look really good especially the nanny. I'm liking all the colors in the shadow. Hope all is well!