Saturday, March 27, 2010

Next Large Project

So I was jumping around the internet, wasting my time when I came across this intriguing book-wreath. It was intriguing not because I want to make something just like that, because it's in a frilly wreath shape and thats fine and all, but who wants a wreath when you can make a spiral? Like a really big dragon/baroque inspired spiral?

I was feeling like my studio was empty without that big mural in it anymore, and I needed something else big to fill the space, so I tapped into my inner studio artist and a 30 minute project has turned into a four hour This-Is-Not-A-Craft project. Plus, I wanted it big enough to fill the space above my bed, because I can't hang anything heavy there since I live basically on top of the San Andreas Fault.

In the other tutorial they had a foam mold, and molds don't come in swee spiral shapes, so insead I had to make my own out of wire. I used copper wire because we have a lot of this around (my Father also has his own this-is-not-a-craft, but for engineers, where he tries to place a ham radio inside of every empty container you leave around the house, from altoids, to fishing poles, to the entire computer room. This is why we have lots of copper wire)
this is me using copper wire as really big chopsticks. That should be a new fad: really big chopsticks. Anyways, since I needed two for the size of this piece, I clamped them down in our sautering area (we are nerds we have a sautering area. Usaully for chip-boards, I'm the only one that uses it for art)
and sautered away. Holds up nice.

bent it into shape. covered that shape with a mix of fun-foam and newspaper. I've decided after trying both that newspaper is easier and quicker than fun foam, which was a hassle and I used up almost all of my glue doing it. With newspaper you don't even need to glue, just needs rubber bands and yarn to string it together.
I took my Jane Eyre, my five dollar spend from three years ago that ended up being the worst classic I've ever read. Jane Eyre is like the Twilight of their time. Yes I meant that. Some people really like Jane Eyre and they are allowed to, but I think it is absolutely rediculous.
using flat pages makes a round shape like in the original tutorial. but I didn't want that, I wanted scales/wings.
One and a half hours later:
It's going to take me years but I'm excited about this TINAC.
and the wire holds up super well. Takes up enough space in my studio that my freinds and family think I'm an artist again.

No comments: